Activities include cultural exhibitions, brownbag lectures, an international fashion show, and much more
The International Students’ Association (ISA) is hosting its annual Extravaganza April 5-10. Under the theme of “With One Voice,” the event’s goal is to establish and deepen bonds between students of all cultures and ethnicities and to educate the campus community about various traditions from around the world.
Events include brownbags, evening discussions, regional performances, a fashion show, and international food tasting. Throughout the week, the flags of countries represented by our students and community will be displayed on the Quad. The week culminates with the traditional Grand Finale from 6:30-8:30 p.m. April 10 in the Williams Center for the Arts.
For more information, visit the Extravaganza web site.
Extravaganza schedule of events:
Monday, April 5
- Noon, Brownbag discussion – Family and Marriage in South Asia, Oechsle Hall room 224
- Noon, South Asia Exhibition, Farinon College Center Landis Atrium
- 9 p.m., Poetry Reading, Gilbert’s Café back room
Tuesday, April 6
- Noon, Brownbag discussion – Muslim Culture and it’s Integration into Europe, Farinon Marlo Room West
- Noon, Europe Exhibition, Farinon Landis Atrium
- 7 p.m., Lafayette College Monopoly and Vietnamese Board Games, Portlock Black Cultural Center
Wednesday, April 7
- Noon, Brownbag discussion – The Influence of East Asian Musical Traditions on the Western Music Scene, Farinon Marlo Room West.
- Noon, Asia Pacific Exhibition, Farinon Landis Atrium
- 6 p.m., Traditional South Asian Folk songs, Portlock Black Cultural Center
- 7:30 p.m., Jones Faculty Lecture Series – William Bissell, associate professor of anthropology and sociology will present: The Cinematic City: Global-Local Paradoxes in the Cultural Production of Zanzibar’s International Film Festival, Kirby Hall of Civil Rights room 104
- 9 p.m., Jam with De-KGB, a 4-piece reggae band, Farinon Landis Atrium
Thursday, April 8
- Noon, Brownbag discussion -The Future of Video games, Oechsle Hall room 224
- Noon, The Americas Exhibition, Farinon Landis Atrium
- 6 p.m., Art of the Indus Valley Civilization in Pakistan; History of Masks in Europe; and Chinese Knot Tying, Portlock Black Cultural Center
- 8:30 p.m., Student Forum on Homosexuality in Africa, Keefe Hall Common Room
Friday, April 9
- Noon, Brownbag – Immigration into Africa, Kirby Hall of Civil Rights room 104
- Noon, Africa Exhibition, Farinon Landis Atrium
- 6 p.m., International Food Tasting ($2 Entry Fee. Proceeds go to Hands Together Haiti.), Marquis Hall Bergethon Room
- 7 p.m., International Fashion Show, Marquis Hall Bergethon Room
Saturday, April 10
- 6:30 p.m., Grand Finale, Williams Center for the Arts
- Extravaganza After Party