The College will mark the creation of a more attractive, functional, and environmentally sustainable central campus 6 p.m. Friday.
A ceremony to celebrate completion of the ambitious Quad renovation project will be held on Conway Plaza, located at the entrance of Pardee Hall that faces the Quad. Following a welcome by President Daniel H. Weiss, Michael Prisco ’14, president of Student Government, will share perspectives on the renovation’s impact on campus life, and Wendy L. Hill, provost and dean of the faculty, will speak on the history of the Quad. Edward W. Ahart ’69, chair of the Board of Trustees, will recognize the donors whose generosity made the renovation possible.
The extensive renovation, which involved the removal of roadways and parking areas to create a safer, more accessible, and more visually unified space, gives a distinctive new look and feel to the campus core.
Conway Plaza, named for Arthur W. Conway ’68, is one of several areas named in recognition of donors’ leadership support of the renovation. These also include:
- Anderson Courtyard (bounded by Hugel Science Center, Watson Hall, and Acopian Engineering Center), named for Carl G. Anderson Jr. ’67 and Deborah B. Anderson
- Levy Plaza (near the entrance of Pardee Hall), named for Barbara Levy ’77 and Joseph Hollander P’11’14
- Wagner Plaza (at the main entrance of Farinon College Center), named for Leon M. Wagner ’75
- Chapin Plaza (at the main entrance of Watson Hall), named for Samuel R. Chapin ’79 and Beth Lanigan Chapin ’80.
Bench areas along the former Pardee Drive are named for Nancy E. Brennan ’74 and Stephanie Westphal Lucas ’85 and in memory of Frank H. ’51 and Jean R. Hughes P’85.
Bench areas in Anderson Courtyard are named for Daniel R. Revers ’84; George E. Rossmann ’62 and Lynn L. Rossmann; and the Glascott family (including James D. Glascott ’83 and Deirdre M. Glascott, and Jeffrey R. Glascott ’79 and Linda C. Glascott P’10 ’12 ’15).
Other donors to the renovation project whose support will be recognized:
- Margaret G. Axelrod ’74 and Jay G. Axelrod
- Jill Crocker Bornstein ’90 and Jeffrey S. Bornstein
- Class of 2011
- Daniel J. Kilmurray ’75 and Tamara Kilmurray
- F.M. Kirby Foundation
- Elisabeth Hughes MacDonald ’81 and John MacDonald
- J. Peter Simon ’75 P’11’14 and Janet Mauriello Simon ’75 P’11’14
- Kenneth S. Sweet Jr. ’54 and Mary Sweet