Nicole Hurd smiles on campus with a green tree behindTo the Lafayette Community:

From the moment I was asked to consider seeking this opportunity to the moment on Wednesday when I was introduced as your 18th president, I have been impressed by both the spirit and commitment of the Lafayette community. As an educator, leader, and social entrepreneur, I am inspired by your stories, and I am excited for the future of this remarkable institution.

To me, Lafayette is distinctive for a number of reasons. It is a place where the combination of liberal arts and engineering allows for students to develop leadership skills that encompass both passion and systems thinking. It is a place where students, faculty, staff, and alumni can grow and learn together whether it is through research, a championship culture in athletics, internships, or the friendly conversations happening on the Quad. It is a place that is developing the next generation of leaders—leaders who will create more seats at the table, invite more voices to participate, and make the campus, Easton, our nation, and our world a better place.

What happens at a place like Lafayette is magic. As I mentioned in my remarks on Wednesday, it is time to dream, hope, and ignite the sparks of potential together. I look forward in the coming weeks and months to hearing your Lafayette stories—stories we need to amplify. I am also looking forward to hearing your dreams for the College as we approach our bicentennial, your hopes as we recover from a pandemic, and the places where we can strengthen our community to create real impact.

I have been touched by the correspondence I have received since Wednesday. Whether from faculty, staff, students, trustees, parents, or friends of the College, the universal message has been one of deep commitment for this special place and excitement for what we will accomplish together. It is time to be bold and brave—to turn those sparks into fireworks.

I want to thank Chairman Bob Sell, the search committee, and the Board of Trustees for this opportunity to serve. Their passion and leadership of our community, alongside Lafayette’s faculty, students, staff, alumni, parents, and friends, ensure the future is bright. I am already convinced that this community embodies the maxim that the whole can exceed the sum of its parts.

I cannot wait to meet you, to introduce you to my family (husband Bill, children Monica and Matthew, and golden retrievers Sunshine and Sadie), and to be with you. To great things ahead!

With excitement and gratitude,
Nicole Hurd

P.S.: If you did not have a chance to join Wednesday’s livestream announcement, you can still watch it and view other related content. On Lafayette!