This year’s Lafayette College United Way Campaign hopes to raise $60,000 (a 10.7 percent increase over last year) from 225 donors (a 7.7 percent increase), and we’re counting on support from the entire College community, both new and returning donors.

Lafayette men's basketball coach Fran O'HanlonFran O’Hanon
Head coach, men’s basketball

I think it’s important to give back to one’s community, and I often designate a portion of my gift to some of the youth organizations supported by United Way. The most frequent objection I hear to participating is that people donate to so many other causes they don’t feel a need to give to United Way. But I have seen how United Way’s support makes a difference, and I just want to do my small part in helping them help others.

Lafayette women's basketball coach Kia Damon instructs a player.Kia Damon
Head coach, women’s basketball

I started giving to United Way last year when I received an invitation to donate from a colleague.  I did not hesitate to donate because I believe one of my civic duties is to do as much as I can to serve my local community. Philanthropic endeavors have played a large role in my life—usually in the faith realm. I know that building strong communities begins with having strong people! United Way provides hope, education, and resources to those who have encountered difficult circumstances in life. I can’t think of a better way to help people in our community gain strength than by supporting the efforts of United Way.